The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Beginning of Wisdom

The following post is deserving of comment:

""And then secretly weeping at night, confused as hell: with all this wisdom, why am I so miserable?"

As an educated person there's a tendency to focus on worldly wisdom & reason and intellectualize religion in general. But the world and it's wisdom is opposed to the knowledge of God. The things of the Spirit are spirit and you can't have a "direct experience of the divine" through head knowledge.

For 2,000 years the salavation of the cross has be available to humanity, but sadly they largely have rejected Jesus.

I pray that you don't make the same mistake in order to make a some point about social utility and pop psychology that sounds awfully clever to most but is sheer folly to God.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. (Psalms 14:1)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom (Psalm 111:10)
RW
##
RW seems to me a considerate, thoughtful person who has a point of view on the subject of enlightenment, reality, and so forth, shared by a great number of people-among them some of my favorite folks.
The following would express my response:
1)I quite agree that we cannot have a direct experience of the divine through logic.
2)I agree that Christianity is a valid path. I disagree that it is the only one.
3)I'm not trying to make any point about anything. I'm merely expressing what I see and feel and am currently experiencing.
4) While not suggesting that your first Psalm quote is a reference to me, I will go so far as to say that my faith in God is absolute. I also have to say that when we say "God" we may very well be speaking of different things.
5) Fear of the Lord is certainly one of the beginnings of wisdom. I was a child when I took my first steps. And I feared, a response I find appropriate to a child. As an adult, I find a sense of profound wonder and gratitude more in alignment with my spirit. At this point in my life, I am far more interested in the end than the beginning.

5 comments:

Fafa Aniston said...

Nice information.

Thanks.

buying term papers said...

I believe that during meditative states leading up to the subjective experience of enlightenment there are actual physical changes in the brain

stevesmith said...

HI,
Thanks for sharing this blog.. Really like it..

http://www.raymeds.com/

stevesmith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheOnlineGenericRx.com said...

This is an interesting information..... I really like your blog. Thanks for the share.....
Cheap Kamagra