The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Wasp

Jason watched five minutes ago as I rescued a wasp trapped in our house. I slipped a plastic cup over it, while murmuring: "I mean you no harm. You are safe. If you will allow me, I will return you to your home. I understand you are afraid. You are safe..." Jason cowered on the stairs as I slipped an index card under the cup, then carefully took the wasp outside and set it free. I told Jason that if I was a wasp, I would want to meet a human like me. That empathy is being the change you wish to see in the world. He said: "but if I was a wasp, and I met a human who wasn't like you, I would sting him. Repeatedly." And if that isn't the essence of the martial arts, I don't know what is. Every moment can be a lesson.

No comments: